I don't know about you all but watching the news has become very terrifying for me. If it's not one shooting, it's a murder, it's one natural disaster, it's the global financial crisis, it's Brexit. Honestly, it's almost as if the news is there just to scare. I mean a few happy stories is not too much to ask surely! That said though, watching the news most times helps me put things into perspective. After seeing all that global doom and gloom it's hard not to say a word of thanks! Being alive in itself often feels like a miracle and should be celebrated.
Everyday I leave home, and come back in one piece, I thank God!
Having a roof over my head
Being generally healthy
Kids happy and healthy
Being able to afford a decent meal
Good health facilities
Good public infrastructure
- you know all the wonderful amazing blessings we enjoy. I'm sure reading through the above list you'll probably have one or two things to be thankful for too - didn't find anything? How about being grateful for the device you are reading this on 😊
I'm generally someone who practices the art of gratitude - even though it's not always easy because you know - your girl is only human. However, I just came across this article on Forbes that made me think it wasn't just enough to practice gratitude, it was time to Master it - 7 Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Gratitude That Will Motivate You To Give Thanks Year-Round. It's a fascinating read!
According to the article (most points backed by one study or the other),
1. Gratitude opens the door to more relationships
2. Gratitude improves physical health
3. Gratitude improves psychological health.
4. Gratitude enhances empathy and reduces aggression.
5. Grateful people sleep better
6. Gratitude improves self-esteem.
7. Gratitude increases mental strength.
Yes please, I'd love to have all of the above, thank you! 😊
After reading this article, I was already sold, then I came across this chart from happierhuman.com which really helped drive the point home. The chart gives a summary of the emotional, social, career, health, personality benefits of gratitude. In essence, it concludes that GRATITUDE is the KEY to HAPPINESS.
Now I understand why the Bible says : IN ALL THINGS GIVE THANKS it's BECAUSE IT'S GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH!
Thanks for reading , wishing you all the best in your quest to master the art of gratitude xxx